Opal is a novel and engaging gemstone that has been utilized in jewelry for millennia. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is each stunning and crowd pleasing. Opals undoubtedly deserve a spot in your jewelry assortment, however what do you actually learn about them?
On this article, we’ll discover the historical past of opal jewelry, how opals are fashioned, and methods to look after opal jewelry to make sure that it stays wanting stunning for years to come back.
Let’s get began …
How are Opals Shaped?
The method begins when silica-rich water seeps down into cracks and crevices within the Earth’s crust. Over time, the water evaporates, abandoning a deposit of silica. As this course of repeats, layer upon layer of silica builds up, ultimately forming a strong mineral deposit that we all know as opal.
The method can take wherever from 5 million to twenty million years, relying on the particular situations and elements concerned. The result’s a novel and exquisite gemstone with a definite play of color, created by the best way gentle refracts via the layers of silica.
Not all opals function the iridescence and play of color seen notably in Australian opals, however as a substitute have extra of a strong colouring which could be white, yellow, pink, orange, purple and even black.
The Historical past of Opal Jewelry
Opals have been utilized in jewelry for 1000’s of years, with a few of the earliest examples relationship again to historic Greece and Rome. Within the Center Ages, opals had been believed to have magical powers, and so they had been extremely prized by royalty and the rich.
By the nineteenth century, opal jewelry was changing into extra extensively out there, and it turned a well-liked alternative for engagement rings and different special day jewelry.
Within the twentieth century, opal jewelry turned much more common and as we speak it stays a well-liked alternative for jewelry lovers as we speak. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is an effective way so as to add some color and persona to your jewelry assortment.
About Australian Opals
Australia is thought for producing a few of the finest opals in the world, with over 95% of the world’s provide of opals coming from the nation.
The primary opal was found in Australia within the 1840s, but it surely wasn’t till the late 1800s that opal mining started in earnest. The primary industrial opal mine opened in White Cliffs, New South Wales in 1890, and shortly after, different deposits had been present in areas equivalent to Coober Pedy, Lightning Ridge and Andamooka.
Opal mining in Australia continues to be largely a small-scale trade, with most of the mines being family-run operations. Nonetheless, there are additionally bigger mining corporations that make use of tons of of individuals and produce important quantities of opal every year.
Immediately, Australian opals are extremely wanted by collectors, jewelry designers and jewelry lovers all over the world. With their distinctive and fascinating play of color, Australian opals proceed to be a very fashionable alternative for these searching for a particular and exquisite gemstone.
Look after Opal Jewelry
Opals are comparatively delicate and require a little bit of particular care to maintain them wanting their greatest. Listed below are some ideas for caring to your opal jewelry:
- Opal is sort of a delicate gemstone, so retailer your opal jewelry individually from different jewelry to keep away from scratches and harm. Mushy material pouches or jewelry packing containers are perfect for storage of treasured jewelry.
- Clear your opal jewelry commonly to take away filth and oil buildup. To wash opal jewelry, merely wash it in heat soapy water, rinse and dry totally. Take a look at our complete jewelry cleansing information for extra ideas.
- Keep away from getting your opal jewelry moist commonly or for prolonged intervals, particularly if the opals are doublets or triplets which have synthetic backings. We advocate taking it off when showering or swimming. In case your opal jewelry will get moist, it’s best to dry it shortly and totally to stop harm.
- For prime worth opal jewelry, we advocate having your items professionally inspected and cleaned periodically to make sure that it stays in prime situation.
- Keep away from exposing opal jewelry to harsh chemical compounds, equivalent to bleach and cleansing brokers, as these can harm the gemstone. Take care if utilizing chemical cleaners on treasured metallic which has opals set into it: clear across the stones as greatest you may and you’ll want to rinse and dry totally whenever you’re finished.
- By no means expose opal jewelry to excessive temperature adjustments, as this could trigger the gemstone to crack or turn out to be discoloured. Specifically do not use a steam cleaner on opals.
Add Some Lovely Opal Jewelry to your Assortment
Opal jewelry is a wonderful and distinctive alternative of gemstone for jewelry lovers. Whether or not you are searching for a special day piece or simply an intriguing and subtly vibrant addition to your assortment, opals are a really particular possibility.
At Simone Walsh Jewelry now we have a collection of reasonably priced opal jewelry, together with some small and exquisite Australian opals, Mexican fireplace opals and strong color variants in pinks, yellows and whites.
Take a look at our opal jewelry vary, together with our full gemstone jewelry assortment. We’re positive you may discover one thing you’re keen on.