It’s regular to expertise durations of stagnation in your life. In the event you’re feeling caught, know this: you’re not alone. Enlargement and retraction ebb and circulation, and although some weeks motivation could also be on our facet, others might even see us making little progress. And whereas all of that is to be anticipated—we are able to’t be on on a regular basis. Let’s be actual, as growth-oriented individuals, experiencing an absence of inspiration and vitality in our lives doesn’t really feel nice. In the event you’ve tried remedy, meditation, and skim all of the self-help books, the subsequent step may very well be studying learn how to discover a life coach.
For assist in creating wholesome habits, constructing a satisfying profession path, and embracing a vibrant private life, preserve studying. Your finest self awaits.
Featured picture by Michelle Nash.
What is a life coach?
Though life coaches aren’t anything new, there’s still often a lack of clarity surrounding what they do and how they work with clients. To be clear: though they may address similar issues and areas of a person’s life, therapists and life coaches are not the same. Therapists are licensed health professionals trained to help patients process mental health issues and work through trauma. Conversely, life coaches can support you in navigating transitions and ultimately help you progress and level up in life.
With this goal in mind, life coaches can support individuals in professional and personal development, helping them move along the path of growth in all realms. While the areas of focus will vary depending on the person, a coach can work with you to improve everything from mindset to relationships to your career—and other parts of your life where you may feel stuck.
Why hire a life coach?
Like many, I’ve been bogged down in the past by questions of purpose, direction, and growth. Where am I headed? Am I on the right path? Will I look back on my life and regret the choices I’ve made? (We’re asking the big questions here.) Luckily, life coaches are trained to provide guidance and support for many of the larger issues we face in life.
Whether you’re dealing with a career change, going through a divorce, or navigating obstacles that could benefit from the clarity, insight, and expertise of a professional, a life coach may be just the thing.
Reasons to Seek Out a Life Coach
Though the reasons for hiring a life coach vary widely, some may include:
- You generally feel stuck. Things may be going well—you have a solid career, meaningful relationships, and you even make time for activities in your personal life. But as you go throughout your day, you’re met with a gnawing sense of ennui. You’re not sure of the next step, and though you crave growth, you’re not sure how to make it happen.
- You want to level up your career. Do you feel like you’re checking all the boxes, but still getting passed up for the promotion? Perhaps you’d like to shift industries but aren’t sure where to start. Or, you’re nearing retirement and haven’t yet envisioned what life after work looks like.
- You want support with a creative project. Is it your dream to write a novel, but you can’t get yourself to write the first page? Or maybe you want to build a program online, but have no idea where to start. Would you like to learn a new skill or master a new hobby that can bring color and dimension to your life?
- You need a collaborator to bounce ideas off of. While your relationships may fulfill other needs, you haven’t yet found a creative partner to analyze your ideas. You’re looking for someone who will hold you accountable and help you make progress toward your creative goals.
The good news, is that no matter the specifics of your situation, if you want to level up in some way, the right life coach will help you get there. Not only will a life coach assist in creating a plan to reach your goals, but they can support you every step of the way.
Life Coach Credentials and Certifications
As you’re looking for a life coach, keep in mind that the training isn’t regulated. There isn’t a universal standard for accreditation. Because of this, it’s important to do your research. While many trainings and certifications are available, some of the top programs include:
This is by no means a comprehensive list, but as you’re looking for a life coach, ask where they received their certification from, and do a little background research to ensure its credibility.
What to Look For in a Life Coach
In your search for a life coach, and perhaps while you’re scheduling free consultation calls, there are a few key qualities to look for. The best life coaches possess the following skills:
- They’re an effective communicator. You want to work with someone who not only conveys their ideas and thoughts clearly and thoroughly, but who also asks questions that challenge you to think deeper and help you grow. What’s more, an adept life coach will take note of your own communication style, tailoring their approach so you can work together most effectively.
- You feel heard in your coaching sessions. An immediate red flag? If a life coach talks over you or cuts you off in a session. You always want to be sure you’re given space to explore your thoughts and that your life coach is taking the time to truly understand you and your goals.
- They approach your challenges without judgment. While we may want to hear that our approach or way of thinking is always right, that’s not how we grow. And though it’s important for your life coach to call you out from time to time, they’ll do so in a gentle and empathetic way. You never want to feel alienated by your life coach. Instead, the best life coaches will strike a balance between coaxing you out of your comfort zone and ensuring you feel safe to explore new options.
How a Life Coach Can Help You Achieve Your Goals
Sometimes, the questions are more important than the answers. This is exactly the case when it comes to life coaching. Without guidance or a framework for growth, we have no way to start working toward our goals. Luckily, a life coach is trained to do exactly that.
If you’re unsure of what you want in life, a life coach can help you identify what feels meaningful and important to you. By asking the right questions, they’ll help you build a vision for yourself—and understand the habits or routines that may be holding you back from achieving it. You’ll collaborate on an action plan that’s marked by attainable steps directed toward your goals. From there, you’ll meet with your life coach regularly to ensure you’re making progress.
Essentially, your life coach will help you see what you really want and build out a roadmap to get there. At every point along the way, you’ll have an accountability partner to check in with and who will motivate you to make these dreams a reality.
How to Find a Life Coach
Thankfully, in our post-pandemic world, there are countless online resources and programs that will connect you with the right life coach. Some of the best platforms include:
After answering a series of questions about your goals, BetterUp will match you with a certified expert. It’s a convenient, well-designed online platform that allows you to connect virtually with your coach. BetterUp offers two coaching services for either corporate settings or individuals. You can select from different monthly plans based on how often you’d like to meet with your coach. And unlike other life coaching services, BetterUp offers a comprehensive library of resources to help you build your skills beyond your coaching sessions.
- Pricing: Tiered monthly subscription plans start at $89 for one session.
Blush combines the non-public component of digital classes with the comfort of a chat perform. That method, you’ll be able to join along with your life coach as wants come up (and also you don’t have to indicate your face if the vitality isn’t there). Blush’s women-led staff has designed a platform to help you in all areas of life—from relationships to work to non-public objectives. With a wonderful and user-friendly digital expertise and confirmed success (Blush reported that 99% of shoppers have been “considerably” or “very glad” with all the expertise, and 96% would repeat the method), it’s a premium service at an accessible worth.
Observe: Blush additionally runs a podcast, Blush You that covers growth-oriented matters from navigating imposter syndrome to providing assist by poisonous relationships.
- Pricing: Plans begin at $199/month.
Koachee is a web-based listing of life coaches, billing itself as an “all-in-one on-line teaching market.” As an alternative of getting to conduct numerous Google searches for the appropriate life coach, Koachee helps you discover and schedule on-line teaching classes. Join free, and the platform allows you to filter searches by critiques, charges, and expertise. It’s an environment friendly strategy to discover the appropriate life coach for you, supplying you with entry to tons of life coaches at your fingertips. Koachee additionally permits you to combine platforms like Zoom, Calendly, Stripe and extra for handy scheduling and cost choices.
What’s extra, when you’re seeking to grow to be a life coach, Koachee affords help to assist take your teaching enterprise on-line.